Cost of Living
In general, the cost of living in Spain is acceptable and there is universal, free access to social services such as health and education...
To give you an idea of the general cost of living in Spain, we have selected the prices of the following everyday items, the price of which will naturally vary from shop to shop, from region to region and from city to city:
- Loaf of bread: EUR 0.95
- Milk (one litre): between EUR 0.70 and EUR 1.30
- A dozen eggs: between EUR 1.60 and EUR 2.20
- Kilo of apples: EUR 1.80
- Kilo of tomatoes: EUR 2.5
- Bottle of shampoo: EUR 3
- Deodorant: EUR 2
- Skirt or trousers: EUR 60
- 24 hour flat rate ADSL connection: EUR 39
- National or regional newspaper: EUR 1.20 (2.20 on Sundays)
- Aspirin: EUR 3.20
- Cinema ticket: between EUR 7 and 9.
- Coffee: between EUR 1.10 and EUR 1.30
- Beer: between EUR 1.50 and EUR 2
- Hamburger: EUR 2.95.
- Set menu: from EUR 9. Bus/Metro transport cost: One-way ticket: EUR 1.
A ten-trip metro and bus ticket costs: EUR 9.30 in Madrid and EUR 7.85 in Barcelona. You can buy a pass that allows you unrestricted travel for one month on the metro, town buses and commuter trains (RENFE), starting at: EUR 47.60 (Madrid price) and EUR 48.45 (Barcelona price).
Fuel costs: Unleaded petrol 95 (litre): EUR 1.35 - Unleaded petrol 98 (litre): EUR 1.46 - Diesel A (litre): EUR 1.27.
Text last edited on: 07/2011
© European Communities
Reproduction is authorised.
Internet service provider offering low cost calls, line rental and ADSL broadband connections.... Find out more...
This Summer, get a FREE quote for worldwide health cover for you and your family: 24 hour... Find out more...